Key Objectives and Goals
To ensure that effective planning and research informs future investment and planning across the Mataura River system, the following goals/objectives are focus the project:
- Improve the current Mataura River system management and re-establish natural buffers.
- Reduce the intensity of flood peaks in down stream bottlenecks such as Gore and Mataura townships.
- Enhance mahinga kai, cultural values and taonga species.
- Reintroduce mid system wetlands.
- Restore riparian habitat.
- Provide alternative livelihood pathways for nga rūnanga and communities.